Sunday, September 20, 2009

Go Dawgs!

Yes! UGA pulled it out today and beat Arkansas.

One of the things I miss most about being sick and poor is being able to go to ballgames. I'd never be able to walk all over the campus like I did before I got sick. My heart wouldn't take it. And I sure couldn't stay out in the heat of the stadium.

I remember one year playing TN and it was so bloody hot in Sanford Stadium. No air was moving at all and it was in the 90s-100s down at field level. Plus it was so crowded, no one could breathe. It was actually kinda scarey. People crowded the aisles and the crowd started pushing and people were being crushed. I remember pulling some girl out of the crowd on the steps next to my seat. She was crying, practically hysterical. Too hot down there.

I always dreamed of my husband and kids going to Athens on Saturdays, tailgating, going to the games, wearing the Red & Black, spending time in the mountains on our way back home. But, though we did that a few times, it's not like I imagined. We never had enough time or money to do it like I'd always dreamed.

Now, I'm too sick and old and poor to do anything like that. I didn't get to retire and have a comfortable end of days. Now it's too late. I didn't realize my full earning potential, and what I did have, I pissed away. I have nothing to show for all the years I worked. My poor husband should be enjoying his retirement instead of working.

One reason I wish I could become a published writer is so I'd have something to show for my 'wasted time'. My husband is so supportive and he believes in me and my writing aspirations. He's never said he blames me for our money woes though if I'd never gotten sick, we wouldn't have them.

I have the most wonderful husband in the world. I wish I could spoil him like he deserves. But I can't. I can't even make the house beautiful for him because of my heart. I get chest pain and short of breath just walking from the bed to the bathroom, much less actually DOING anything.

But UGA won this Saturday, so all's right with the world.

Go Dawgs!

No comments:

Post a Comment